Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bank robber planned crime and punishment

"James Richard Verone woke up June 9 with a sense of anticipation.

He took a shower.

Ironed his shirt.

Hailed a cab.

Then robbed a bank.

He wasn’t especially nervous. If anything, Verone said he was excited to finally execute his plan to gain access to free medical care."  See article.

****************************************************

My mother told me that in the depression men would steal, who otherwise would never steal, in order to have a place to sleep and food to eat.

From Dickens a few decades earlier:

"`Are there no prisons?' asked Scrooge.

`Plenty of prisons,' said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

`And the Union workhouses?' demanded Scrooge. `Are they still in operation?'

`They are. Still,' returned the gentleman, `I wish I could say they were not.'

`The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?' said Scrooge. . .
. . . .`I wish to be left alone,' said Scrooge. `Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned -- they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there.'"

A few centuries earlier there was Jesus and others.

A few centuries earlier there was the Buddha and others.

A few centuries earlier there was the forward thinking Code of Hammurabi.

Today "there is nothing for it" as Samwise of Tolkein's Lord of the Rings would say.